Wednesday 2 September 2015

The Need for More Compassion

"I think one of the best words in the English language is 'compassion.' I think it holds everything. It holds love, it holds care... and if everybody just did something. We all make a difference." Michael Crawford

I have never really been into politics. I have always found it baffling how the people who make the country's decisions are so out of touch and desensitised to every day people and every day life.

I have never had much time or interest in the news or media either. Since I was a child I felt we were only being told a fraction of what was happening and that very often we were given these horrific headlines and stories, passing lots of blame, but never really investigating the bigger picture. It amazed me how a story would dominate for a week and then you would never hear of the situation again. The Boko Haram kidnapping of the Nigerian school girls is a recent example I can think of.

Over the past few months the British government and British mediasresponse to the refugees fleeing war torn countries such as Syria and Iraq has been despicable. While I have never had much care for politics or media I have always had a strong care and love for people.

These people have been verbally battered by government officials. Described as if they are rats and locusts. A "swarm" invading the land. When in fact they are refugees risking their very lives in the search for security and freedom that cannot be found at home.

The media has led a vicious fear mongering campaign showing zero compassion for these vulnerable and desperate people and instead focused on selfish and arrogant defiance of an issue. Absolving blame and refusing to acknowledge cause they have honed in on "immigrants" and the lies of a  desire for benefits rather than a desire to simply live in peace. They are only now beginning to show some empathy! After months and months of distasteful headlines and reports now they want to be compassionate. The hypocrisy is shameful and they should be held accountable.

Two images have struck me in recent days. The first is of the young child, not migrant or immigrant, but a child. He is washed up on a Greek beach having drowned fleeing Syria via Turkey. Having holidayed on the island of Kos where this poor boy was found feels very surreal. 

The other is of German football fans at a number of stadiums holding banners high at matches stating they welcome refugees.

Two very powerful images. One shows the truly incomprehensible measures people in Syria and other areas of the Middle East are going to in order to reach Europe. How desperate must you be to risk not only your own life, but the life of your child, to consider it a better option to flee home and attempt to be smuggled across Europe by land and sea. Than stay put.

It also demonstrated to me that everyday people, such as football fans care about people. And even if our governments and media refuse to show compassion then at least we as individuals and a community can extend love, warmth and compassion to them.

Are we not all human? Would we not want help were we ever in desperate need? I hope we as society can open our arms up to help those we can. That we do not turn people away or bury our heads in the sand. That we recognise these are people!

Jesus said “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”(Matthew 11:28-30)

I hope that these poor people find rest. They must be so burdened by worry and fear. They must be so tired fleeing home in search for peace and comfort.

I pray we as a society may look to extend love and compassion towards them. That we follow the example Jesus set and as a nation do all we can to help.

Jesus was not only offering the release of the burden and weariness of this life. He was in fact offering a release from the burden of sin and the weariness of a life with no hope.

I pray that people around the world no matter their situation would come to Jesus and know that true and eternal peace that can only be found in Him through his sacrifice at Calvary. That he can take all our worries cares and burdens upon himself and we can be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment